The Egyptian Museum in Cairo contains the world's most extensive collection of pharaonic antiquities; no visit to Egypt is complete without a trip through its galleries.
The original collection was established in the late 19th century under Auguste Mariette and housed in Boulaq.
Therefore Postumus constructed this pillar.” Legend has it, however, that when Pompey was defeated by Julius Caesar and escaped Rome for Egypt, only to be killed in Alexandria, his head was placed in a funerary jar on top of the pillar’s capital, thus earning the monument its famous name.
Pompey’s pillar stands in the center of the temple hall of the Serapeum, the principal temple of the Greco-Egyptian god Serapis, personified by the sacred Apis bull.
The foundations of this temple survive, along with bilingual texts, dating construction of the temple to Ptolemy III Euergetes.
A renovation was performed on the temple in approximately 200 AD, remains of which are still standing.
There are a lot of terms used in the SCA that are sometimes confusing to people.
If the history behind the term is known, then it will be included in the description.
In the very early days, the Queen was often the "abductee", but also various young ladies were often abducted ... This Kingdom covers these regions (in the US): West Virginia, western Pennsylvania, and western New York.
The objects were moved in 1891 to the palace of Ismail Pasha in Giza before being transferred in 1902 to the current building at Tahrir Square, which is the first purpose-built museum edifice in the world.
Designed in the Neoclassical style by Marcel Dourgnon, the Egyptian Museum boasts 107 halls filled with artifacts dating from the prehistoric through the Roman periods, with the majority of the collection focused on the pharaonic era.
The Serapeum also housed an underground library, contemporary to the ancient library of Alexandria.
This crypt-like structure, approximately 75 meters in length, running beneath the grounds of Pompey’s pillar, is still well-preserved, with niches in the walls once reserved for papyri scrolls.